With the weather forecasting temperatures of 21˚C this week, Easter upon us, and we can entertain one other household in our gardens from today, we are looking ahead to a Bank Holiday weekend of celebration. This warm weather has got us thinking about refreshing drinks, summer BBQs and outdoor dining, so we thought we would share our top 5 Summer punches;
A fabulous drink to share with friends – we have all been desperately waiting to see each other again, so a little Giggle Juice will be the most fabulous accompaniment, it’s pretty boozy and therefore definitely one for adults only! It is light, sweet, extremely pink and one of those drinks that goes down slightly too easily, so be aware too many may cause talking into the small hours with no regard for the time!
This recipe will make approximately 8 drinks if served in a coupe or martini style glass, however you can use any glass really.
- 1 lemon wedge and sugar for rimming glasses
- 1 bottle of Moscato, or any other fizzy white or rosé wine – fizz is key!
- 700ml pink lemonade
- 330ml of a lemon and lime based lemonade – Sprite, 7UP or a supermarket version work well.
- 240ml vodka
- 400g of sliced strawberries
- 8 slices of lemon
- Ice cubes
- Rim the glasses with the lemon wedge and dip the glasses into the sugar.
- In a large jug or drinks dispenser stir the wine, pink lemonade, lemon and lime soda, vodka, strawberries and ice together. If using a drinks dispenser opposed to a jug, ensure you hold back a few strawberries to be added straight to the glass.
- Pour/serve in your sugar rimmed glass and garnish with a slice of lemon (and if you like extra strawberries) to garnish.
- Sit back, relax and sip!
The mojito is one of our absolute favourite summer cocktails, but for those times when you want something a little less boozy we love the non alcoholic version just as much.
This recipe will serve 4-6
- 20g of fresh mint, plus a few extra sprigs for the garnish.
- 3 tbsp of golden caster sugar, plus a little extra to taste if you have a sweet tooth.
- 150ml of fresh lime juice, this is approximately 8 limes, plus you will need a few lime slices or wedge to serve.
- Ice cubes (or crushed ice if you’re feeling fancy).
- 1 litre of chilled soda or sparkling water.
- Add the mint, lime juice and caster sugar to a jug and use the end of rolling pin to crush/muddle together. The sugar will dissolve in the juice to ensure that you aren’t left with a slightly gritty texture.
- Add the ice and then pour over the soda water. If you would like it a little sweeter add some additional sugar.
- Serve in a tall glass and garnish with lime slices or wedges and a sprig of mint.
Note – if you wish to make an alcoholic version simply add 250ml of white rum.
You can really play around with this recipe to make it your own, for example, switch out the soda water for sparkling elderflower and add some strawberries in too for a little extra sweetness.
An impressive and also non alcoholic option. This super refreshing punch is perfect for kids and adults alike and looks beautiful too.
This recipe serves approximately 8
- 2 small Watermelons
- 250ml of fresh lemon juice (approximately 4 lemons)
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 litre bottle of soda water or sparkling water
- 1 lime cut into slices
- 1 small handful of fresh mint
- Crushed ice
- Cut the top off the watermelons and hollow them out using a large spoon. Mash the flesh through a sieve (this will catch all the pips) and into a bowl. Dispose of the pips.
- Put the flesh into a blender, add the lemon juice and sugar. Blitz to puree and then gently stir in the soda, be careful as it will fizz up if you are too rigorous!
- Heap some ice into the hollowed watermelon skins and fill them with the mixture. Add a straw, and if you are like us hand these to the kids! Then serve any extra in a jug with lime slices and mint and pass to the adults.
Piña Colada Sangria
We cannot tell you how many afternoons we have whiled away drinking Sangria, and the Pina Colada is one of those cocktails that is definitely making a come back, seriously sweet, definitely naughty, and oh so good, one we always order immediately after checking into a hotel somewhere hot for a week or two of R&R. When we came across a recipe that combined two of our favourite summer drinks, we couldn't not try it, in fact the ingredients were bought and the drinks being served within hours of finding this little gem.
This drink is guaranteed to transport you to the shores of somewhere exotic!
This recipe will serve approximately 6.
- 750ml bottle of white wine such as a Sauvignon Blanc
- 500ml of pineapple juice
- 250ml of soda water
- 225g of pineapple (fresh is best, but canned will work too)
- 250ml of Malibu
- Maraschino Cherries to garnish
- Ice cubes
- Fill a jug with ice.
- Then combine the white wine, Pineapple juice, Soda water, Pineapple and Malibu over the ice.
- Pour and serve in a tall glass with the Maraschino cherries and a straw.
Cucumber, Elderflower and Mint Collins
A little twist on the traditional Collins cocktail. Seriously refreshing with a hint of sweetness, so good for lazing in the garden on a lounger! We particularly like this one as it is relatively low in calories for an alcoholic drink, just 123kcal per serving.
This recipe will make approximately 6.
- 12 cucumber strips
- 180ml of your favourite gin – we find that Hendricks and Martin Millers work particularly well with this recipe.
- 90ml of elderflower cordial
- 3 x small sprigs of mint
- 1 litre of soda water
- Use a peeler to peel long strips along a cucumber, place into a jug. We add 12 here, but feel free to add more for effect.
- Add the gin, elderflower cordial, ice, and then fill the jug to the top with soda water. Stir well and garnish with sprigs of mint.
- Serve in a tall glass with a straw.
We would love to hear your favourite recipes or if you make any of the above, we'd love to see some photos, tag us in on Instagram - @norfolkingaround
Below are a few of ideas from our Spring collection to help you create the perfect garden set up over the coming weeks;
New in for 2021 is the Enamel Pitcher in Butter Cream, It will make a great addition to any kitchen, utility or table top. The simplistic design and neutral colour allows you to mix and match with any colour scheme that you already have.
Decant, serve and replenish refreshments with the stylish Drinks Dispenser. The classic glass design is complemented with a lovely wooden lid. Perfect for homemade lemonade, fruity Pimms or simple ice water with refreshing cucumber. It generously holds 6 litres for keeping those glasses topped up!
The perfect accessory for an on the go lifestyle, the Glass Tumbler With Bamboo Lid & Stainless Steel straw features a tall shape with a beautiful cut glass design. Offering a sustainable alternative to disposable plastic cups, this tall tumbler glass showcases an airtight bamboo lid that will prevent spillages when travelling. This tall tumbler is ideal to use at home or when travelling with its handy stainless steel straw that makes staying hydrated ever so easy!
Use this cut glass tumbler for everyday drinking either on the go or at home. Why not purchase a selection of these glass travel tumblers for each person in your home to encourage the use of reusable alternatives that are fabulous!